These are the facts:

  1. I was on mile 9 of the St. Jude Marathon.
  2. I was really hungry.
  3. Some kid had candy in his hand.
  4. I took it from him.

I am about 60% sure that he was giving candy away but the other 40% of me thinks that it’s entirely possible that he just had candy in his hand and I took it from him. Like I said, I was really hungry.

I don’t do a lot of road races. Road races are very different than trail races. At a trail race, by mile 9 I would have already had a dozen cookies, a few handfuls of M&M’s, a bag of chips, and a pickle; during a road race, you get three ounces of diluted Nuun and a mouthful of lukewarm water.

At the moment of taking the candy cane and two Hershey’s Kisses from the kid, I was 100% certain that he was offering the candy to me. However, after I finished the race and sat down with my customary Dodge’s pizza, I felt that it was possible that I had, in fact, stolen candy from a kid who was standing on the side of the road (which, unfortunately, is far from the worst thing that I have ever done.)

The point is that as my circumstances changed, so did my recollection of the event. My perception of things is largely based on my current situation. When I am angry, I look for problems; when I am lonely, I look for pity; when I am when sad, I look for gloom; when I am happy, I look for optimism; when I am healthy, I look for gratitude.

I have very little control in my life but I often have a choice as to what environment I place myself, which has a lot to do with circumstances that involve situations, which have a great deal to do with perception.

The choice is mine.

Peace, Love, and all things Beef related,

Beefcake

 

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!